Tuesday, December 27, 2016

A Man Called Ove

A Man Called Ove
Fredrik Backman

Having been forced to leave the job he had for over thirty years, there is nothing keeping Ove from joining his wife Sonja, who passed away a few months before. And that is just what he intends to do, but before he can, his new neighbors, Patrick (how doesn't know how to do anything practical, it seems), Parveneh (Patrick's pregnant Iranian wife, who quickly comes to rely on Ove for anything practical that needs to be done, despite the fact that everyone seems to think Ove is bitter, mean, cranky, etc,.), and their two daughters rope Ove into all sorts of projects and jobs and turn up at the most inopportune times. When Ove assists them, due to his innate sense of needing to do what is right and to do things the proper way, he ends up being drawn into helping others as well.

I've thrown a book against the wall and time or two before because I disliked it so much, but I don't think I've ever actually hugged a book before--but I have now. More than once I had to stop reading this book and wrap my arms around it because I loved it so much and because I couldn't hug Ove (for which he would be grateful I'm sure) for his cranky but honorable self, Parveneh for seeing something in him, Sonja for loving him as much as he loved her, the kids for accepting Ove as he is, Adrian for daring to think Ove is just the one to help, or one of the other endearing characters. I love, love, love them. And I loved the plot, seeing all things from Ove's past that made him who he is, and seeing all the things happening in the present that shape who he becomes. There are so many funny aspects to the book, but there is also a tenderness that makes it just unforgettable. I absolutely adore this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment