Saturday, November 11, 2017

The Sound of Rain

The Sound of Rain
By Sarah Loudin Thomas

After the mine he's working in collapses, injuring him and killing his younger brother Joe, Judd Markley can't bear to go back to mining. He leaves his home in West Virginia to go to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, where he finds a job working for a timber company. When he first meets Larkin Heyward, his boss's daughter, he figures she's spoiled and shallow, but as he gets to know her better, he realizes there's more to her than a rich girl who likes dancing. Larkin has been volunteering at the local hospital, but she finds herself wanting to do more and decides to join her minister brother Ben in rural Kentucky to help the people there. As she comes to know Judd better, she's torn between her desire to help the people in Appalachia and her feelings for Judd, who doesn't want to leave his job working for Larkin's father. This book was delightful! I loved the setting; I was so drawn into the time period (it's set in 1954) and the locations. I've never been to West Virginia, South Carolina, or Kentucky, but Sarah Loudin Thomas made all of those places real for me with her descriptions. Beyond that, though, the characters just pulled me in. From the get go, I couldn't help but feel for Judd, who's a lost without his brother and has to figure out what the future has in store for him. I also liked seeing Larkin find her own strength. Secondary characters (like Granny Jane!) stole my heart as well. There were so many great themes, such as figuring out what actually matters in life, finding the path God wants for you, and living again after a loss, that most readers will be able to relate to.

I read a complimentary copy via NetGalley. All opinions are my own.

4. 5 stars.

1 comment: