Tuesday, January 2, 2018

The Nobleman's Daughter

The Nobleman's Daughter by Jen Geigle Johnson

As a daughter of a duke, Lady Amanda enjoys all the comforts and privileges of being a gentleman's daughter. However, as she becomes aware of the struggles of the lower class--of their desires for better options for there lives, including education and a voice in the political system--she is sympathetic to their cause and determined to find a way that she can help. As a cover for her activities, she acts like an empty-headed flirt at society events. Nathaniel, the son of a duke, is all too happy to flirt with her--and she's drawn to him while simultaneously worried that he's nothing more than the rake he pretends to be, one who will never understand her desire to help the common people. Nathaniel has Amanda's father's permission to court her, and he is fascinated by the glimpses he gets of her real self, as he is deeply involved in the fight for freedom. However, he doesn't think he can show Amanda his true loyalties--but if he doesn't, she might never accept him as a suitor.

I don't particularly like this cover, and the I don't like the title. Why do so many books refer to women in relation to some man? That's annoying in general but particularly in this case where Amanda longs for freedom and she's very much her own person and doesn't need to be referred to by her relationship to her father. Other than those two things, though, I really enjoyed the book. I thought the plot was so interesting and fresh--while I enjoy traditional Regency stories, I really liked the look at the class structure, the desire for freedom, and the Peterloo massacre (which I'd never even heard of before). I love it when a historical romance introduces me to a new aspect of history, and this one definitely delivered on that.

I received a review copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment