Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Anxious People


Anxious People
By Fredrik Backman
Published by Atria Books
Publication Date: September 8, 2020 (for the English version)

Description: 
This is a poignant comedy about a crime that never took place, a would-be bank robber who disappears into thin air, and eight extremely anxious strangers who find they have more in common than they ever imagined.
Viewing an apartment normally doesn’t turn into a life-or-death situation, but this particular open house becomes just that when a failed bank robber bursts in and takes everyone in the apartment hostage. As the pressure mounts, the eight strangers slowly begin opening up to one another and reveal long-hidden truths.
As police surround the premises and television channels broadcast the hostage situation live, the tension mounts and even deeper secrets are slowly revealed. Before long, the robber must decide which is the more terrifying prospect: going out to face the police, or staying in the apartment with this group of impossible people.

Review:
I love Fredrik Backman's books because they always have such amazing characters--they're so real to life. He has this fantastic way of creating dynamic, totally believable characters, complete with flaws and strengths. He also has a way of inviting the reader to almost become a character, thinking about whether you would react and respond the same way his characters do or in different ways. What I love most about Backman's books, however, is how they make me empathize with others. At the outset of Anxious People, I had the thought that I might have to read it in small doses because several of the characters were annoying or abrasive. But as I continued reading Backman skillfully pulled back the layers on each character, taking me past their outward actions to their hearts. I found myself not only wanting to reread the book when I finished it but wanting to restart right in the middle of the book with my new understanding of and appreciation for the characters so that I could erase my earlier annoyance with them and instead read every moment with my newfound insights into their true characters. These sweet, beautiful, totally flawed, and totally relatable people stole my heart--and also reminded me of how often in real life if we would stop being annoyed with people and see who they really are, our hearts would melt and we would do whatever we could to help them. 
Besides the wonderful cast of characters, Backman's plot and the setting were so interesting--the majority of the book takes place in one apartment--and there were several twists that I did not see coming at all. It was a fascinating read that was so thought-provoking. I adored it, and I want everyone I know to read it so we can talk about it! 
5 stars. Definitely one of my favorites for 2020. 

I read an ARC of #AnxiousPeople provided by the publisher via #NetGalley. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment