Monday, September 2, 2019

All Hearts Come Home for Christmas

All Hearts Come Home for Christmas
Publisher: Covenant Communications

What a terrific collection of Regency Christmas stories! Even reading it well before the Christmas season, I found it to be captivating and highly enjoyable.

Christmas at Falstone Castle by Sarah M. Eden
It has been years since the Dowager Duchess of Kielder spent Christmas with her son Adam and his family. Although their relationship has been improving slowly, Harriett knows she still has work to do before Adam realizes how much she has always loved him. As she sets out to heal her relationship with her son, the local vicar provides his assistance—and he and Harriett find a connection of their own.
I was thrilled to be able to see some of my favorite characters from Sarah M. Eden's Lancaster family. I absolutely love them, so I was eagerly anticipating this story, and it was wonderful. It has all my favorite elements of a good story--snappy dialogue, laugh-out-loud moments, characters you wish were real, and a good romance. Just a fantastic story! 

The Heart of Christmas by Anita Stansfield
When Theo, a widowed banker offers her a chance to leave her demanding and underpaid seamstress job to work in his household, Addie jumps at the chance and quickly finds herself coming to care for him, his daughter, and his elderly aunt, all of whom have wounds that she hopes to help heal during the Christmas season.
This one was more of a sweet story about family and healing with a dash of romance thrown in than a true romance. While Anita Stansfield isn't a favorite author of mine (I tend to like more dialogue and action, rather than the longer descriptive passages that she writes), this story fits well with her style and her fans will be quite happy with it. I still enjoyed it; it just isn't the style I personally prefer.

’Tis the Season to Be Daring by Esther Hatch
In an attempt to escape her mother’s rather embarrassing matchmaking endeavors, Elizabeth Davenport decides to damage her reputation just enough that her mother will withdraw her from the season. In order to do so, she enlists the help of Lord Charles Hawthorne, who has never cared what society thought of him. Although their arrangement is supposed to be temporary, Elizabeth soon finds that her heart doesn’t want their time together to end.
Oh, my gosh. I loved this story! Starting this story, I expected to have a clear favorite (Sarah M. Eden's contribution, since she’s my favorite author), but this one at least tied for favorite. I absolutely loved the plot; Elizabeth and Charles kept me laughing and I just loved all of their interactions. It was just so much fun to read--and I already want to go reread it.

The Christmas Dress by Joanna Barker
Nell Addington has worked as a seamstress ever since the death of her father, a vicar, and has tried to make the best of her lowered position. When Jacob Hammond, a childhood friend, commissions a new wardrobe for his sister, Nell is happy to reconnect with him.
This was a sweet story with a gentle romance between former childhood friends. I liked how Jacob and Nell, both with struggles of their own, came together and brightened each other's lives. It has a great opening scene, and I love the ending, too.

All in all, a great collection with unique stories that I highly recommend! 5 stars!

 I read a review copy provided by the publisher. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment