Monday, July 9, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars John Green

The Fault in Our Stars

By John Green

Dutton Books, 2012. 318 pgs. Teen fiction

Summary:

Hazel has had cancer for several years; for her, "terminal illness" is a way of life. Although she is on a medication that is prolonging her life, she knows that death will come for her sooner rather than later, and she worries about how that will affect her parents and those around her. And when she meets Augustus Waters, a cancer survivor, she contemplates her mortality even more, not wanting to be start a relationship with him knowing that it'll only be a matter of time before her death hurts him. Yet, as they spend time together, and as he helps her fulfill a life-long quest, they both unforgettable lessons about life and love.

Review:

After experiencing nothing but unmitigated loathing for Looking for Alaska, I was reluctant to ever read another book by John Green again. (I'm not saying he's not a good author, but he's not necessarily a good author for ME, so please don't be offended if you personally love him and everything he's ever written.) So, it took me a couple of times of checking this book out from the library before I actually opened it up and read it. And then I took the plunge, and I'm quite happy to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I love (most of the time) the witty banter between Hazel and Augustus. I love the exploration of the meaning of life and love and how you deal with them in the very-present threat of death. This book was way better than I expected--and way better than most books I've read this year. It's beautiful and haunting and sweet and funny and sad, and I'm glad that I finally convinced myself to crack the cover.

4.5 stars. Some language, sex, and crude humor (but not an overwhelming amount).

No comments:

Post a Comment