Saturday, January 19, 2019

From Ash and Stone

From Ash and Stone
By Julie Daines

Lady Margaret Grey's family was killed by reivers, who looted and burned her family's home. Although Margaret escaped, one of the reivers smashed her head into a rock, in a special stone circle, and ever since, whenever Margaret touches someone, she can sense his or her thoughts. For six years, Margaret has kept apart from others, not touching anyone, and has managed to survive on the streets of London. Now, though, she is ready to seek revenge on those who killed her family and heads home to the borderlands. She hopes that is she can find the killer and kill him in return, she will be able to break her curse and finally be free from knowing others' thoughts. She is counting on running into a Scotsman, Angus Robson, who makes a nuisance of himself by constantly turning up at her home, bringing her food and thwarting her plans--both her plans to seek revenge and to keep the wall around her heart intact.

 This book hooked me from the very beginning. I love Margaret; her need for revenge and the wall around her heart are so realistically portrayed. I also loved seeing the cracks in her wall and how she couldn't help but care about certain people. I also loved Angus; I loved seeing how determined he was to help Margaret even when she didn't want him to, and he also made me laugh. The setting was so interesting; I'd never heard of reiving before and appreciated learning more about that period of English/Scottish history. The plot was quick and moved along well. Really enjoyable!

I read an ARC via #NetGalley. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment