Thursday, January 10, 2019

The Sky above Us

The Sky above Us
By Sarah Sundin

Running from his past, pilot Adler Paxton heads off to England in 1943. He's frustrated when he's assigned to be a wingman, which will make it that much harder to become an ace. Although he's thousands of miles from home, Adler finally has to face up to his past, sins and all, but as he does so, he finds that maybe forgiveness--and a bright future--really are possible, despite all he has done wrong.
Violet Lindstrom wanted to go to Africa as a missionary, but since they won't accept single women, she joined the American Red Cross, thinking she could work with English children who have been evacuated from London. When she finds out she's assigned to an airbase and is supposed to provide entertainment and activity for the airmen, she isn't thrilled. But as she works with the haunted and hurting Lieutenant Paxton, and gets to know the pilots better, she slowly starts to realize that being a missionary isn't the only way that she can serve God.

I really, really enjoyed this book. I loved Adler's character and seeing his growth throughout the book. I really liked the theme of redemption and facing up to what he'd done wrong--and I also liked that it wasn't just a "one-and-done" situation but that there were ongoing issues because that's true to life. With Violet, I liked seeing her journey and realizations about herself and her future. The setting was really interesting; I love World War II stories, and I really enjoyed seeing details like how the Red Cross Aeroclub was set up for the airmen. Really enjoyable book. I can't wait for the third book! *Although this is the second book in a series, I think you could read it without having read the first.

4.5 stars.

I read an ARC via #NetGalley. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment