Monday, January 7, 2019

We Hope for Better Things

We Hope for Better Things
By Erin Bartels

Elizabeth Balsam is a reporter in Detroit who is approached by James Rich, a man who says he wants her to return a camera and photos from the riots of 1967 to a relative of hers--a relative she didn't even know existed. When she's fired from her job, Elizabeth goes to visit her great-aunt Nora for an extended stay, hoping to build enough of a relationship to tell her about James Rich's request. While staying with Nora, Elizabeth starts to find out a lot more about two women in her family--Nora, who married a black man in the 1960s, and Mary, who took in escaped slaves during the Civil War.

So, when I saw this title available on #NetGalley, I was really drawn in by the plot synopsis, and despite the fact that I didn't really have time to squeeze in a book by a new author (since I have enough books by authors already love that I need to read), I couldn't pass it by and requested a review copy--and I'm glad I did. It was really interesting to read a book with three different time periods and three different strong female characters. It as also really interesting to look at racism in all of those time periods, and I think it would be a good choice for a book club discussion. Very well-written, thought-provoking book.
4 stars.
I read an ARC via #NetGalley. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment